Monday, April 4, 2011

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam

So, I just finished watching Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and figured I'd do a little post on it. But it's late here and I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me if the post isn't all that great. Sorry :)Mango watched this film before me and told me I wouldn't like it because of the way it ended. This is because, call me unrealistic, but I always like happy endings. I loathe sad endings and usually won't watch a film that has one (unless it has some super-spectacular acting skills and/or a great storyline that makes up for it). Or I don't like when films end up the way I don't want them to, like the person ending up with the person I don't want them to be with.

Ok, let me veer off course for a second to explain a term I will probably use in the future: peepeeman. I hope this term doesn't offend anyone, but it's a term we started using way before we ever started watching Hindi films. It basically means "the other man" or "the other woman" (the female equivalent being 'peepeewoman'), whoever we don't want the protagonist to end up with. Like I said, I hope this term doesn't seem offensive, it's not meant to be. It's just the term we've always used.

Anyways, back to the story. Like I said, I don't like sad endings, and while the end to Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam wasn't really sad (except for for Sameer [Salman Khan], poor guy!), I'm not sure it ended up how I wanted it to. I didn't want Nandini (Aishwarya Rai) to be with Vanraj (Ajay Devgn), but I did at the same time. Let me explain as I go along (I warned you, this will be unorganized).



I loved the first half of the movie. It was funny and the chemistry between Aish and Sallu was nice, quite believable. Perhaps this was because that was the start of their relationship. Anyways, you could see chemistry. But that's what I didn't like at the same time; there wasn't as much chemistry between her and Ajay. So we see all this great stuff with Nandini and Sameer but then are just expected to forget when Nandini realizes she's in love with her husband? Eh. I don't really think so. I could see, though, how they were trying to show that Vanraj and Nandini were falling in love. I just wish they showed more of that, developed it more so that I could believe it more. But this is the thing - I don't think I would have been happy if she had ended up with Sameer either, because I think that, while they didn't do a great job with showing Nandini and Vanraj's love development, they did a good job of showing Nandini's maturation process. She kind of... outgrew Sameer, I guess. She went from being a young, headstrong, and maybe a little bit spoiled girl (the one who fell for Sameer) to being a more demure and less-willful woman (the one who ultimately fell for Vanraj). So, that being said, I didn't really mind the ending. As I said before, I just wish they would have shown their developing love more, because there's no way it'd just be like *snap* I love my husband now and not this guy I crossed oceans for! Yeah, not so much. Though you could clearly see Vanraj's love, Nandini's didn't start really seem to blossom much at all until the few scenes before it was time to say goodbye. So, to sum this up, I consider Vanraj to be the proverbial peepeeman, but overall I don't completely dislike him. He's the sweet peepeeman that I sympathize with and want to pity, but he's not the one I want Nandini to end up with. Oh, and he just falls in love with her after seeing her once? Maybe I'm just a little skeptical. Although, it is Aishwarya Rai, so I guess it could happen. :)



Also, that Nimbooda song will FOREVER be stuck in my head. Here it is so it can be stuck in yours too.
I couldn't get the video to upload, so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJzT1KMjQ0k
So there's my two cents. What do you think about the film (if you've seen it, that is)? (And I may edit this later when my eyes don't feel like they're gunna fall out of my head. Haha.)

2 comments:

  1. It's been a long long time since I watched this movie (I have it on DVD, but whatever, I'm a little Paris Hilton concerning how often I watch my DVDs)... but I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I liked it okay. It was pretty good. I mean it's not like INSTANT FAVORITE or anything, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I liked the first part much better than the second part.

    ReplyDelete